Well ladies and gents, here we are. It’s been awhile since I last started this project and it’s been one of the bigger ones I’ve done since my Sinanju. I wanted to try to go for something that would top that in terms of sheer ‘holy crap look at what he did’ and I think I managed to reach that…to a degree. I don’t think it’s better than Sinanju, but it’s definitely a work I’m proud of.
Before we do anything too in depth, let’s look over the basics of the kit. The frame is the same as the Gundam Mk-II, the Musha using the Titans-esque colors for the armor. The gold parts are done like the special Shin Musha Mk. I, though with undergates to prevent the finish from getting marred by clip marks and the like though a few areas aren’t so fortunate to escape this like the parts on the outside of the lower leg. By and far though, I was pleased with how Bandai approached the gold parts.
I tried some new things with the weapons on this, with somewhat mixed results. For the first time I tried to remove the seam lines on something, with the top of the rifle (not pictured) and the scabbards. This worked out fairly well but due to other circumstances the rifle doesn’t look as nice as it should. Still, all the weapons for the Musha are nice and look plenty nice enough on their own. More than anything, I’m proud of how the swords turned out.
As stated, this gundam shares the same frame as the Gundam Mk. II and as such it’s a really solid and poseable frame. A slight problem with my kit (as I can’t say it’s about all of them) is that the hip part is extremely loose to the point that it’s taken more than it’s share of falls, albeit they’ve been small ones. The upper body feels plenty solid but the lower leaves something to be desired.
The finished model looks really nice. I’m very much a fan of the end result, especially since the biggest thing I had to do for this was split the colors down the middle and divide things up in a good manner. The biggest problem with painting this kit was I tried to branch out and use the Krylon type of paint, which is much cheaper than the Tamiya brand. The lesson learned here is that it’s cheaper for a reason, as after spraying I was left with a rather funky rough texture on some of the parts likely due to the primer aspect of the krylon fusion paint. Other people have gotten decent results with it apparently, but I’m not one of them. Another problem with painting white on this kit is that even with primer, I had to use a good number of coats to get even decent coverage. As such the right shoulder’s mobility is actually hindered by the layers of paint on the part. As you can see, I took the split/yin-yang motif to everything on the kit, going down to the frame and painting over the plated parts to unify the look as best I could.
The extra effort that went in to splitting the smaller details like the head crest, chest crest and the waist and frame parts. However, I think that attempting to branch out in to different and more cost effective options for paint really kinda hurt me on this one. It doesn’t help that I had to use too many coats of white paint which hinders the articulation of the kit. I won’t be trying to paint white again until I have myself an airbrush to allow for finer control over paint and for a thinner more even coat.
As for the kit itself, It’s not as fantastic articulation wise as the original Mk. II kit but design wise and bang for your buck it definitely comes through like a champ. With any luck, other people out there don’t have the looser legs/hips like mine does which will give them the ability to have a whole lot more fun posing this kit than I could really have.