An Old Friend

Everyone, meet Astraea. This is the very first gundam I built back in december or  so of 2008 and the kit that really hooked me in to this past time. It’s very obvious it was my first kit- I didn’t have the proper marker for panel lining, there are nub marks in various places and there are some seams here and there.

I was still overjoyed at how well the kit had turned out when I had finished it. It had taken me all day to just assemble the basics of the model, the weapons wound up having to wait until a few days after.

Time passed and though my skills improved, I left Astraea on display on the lower shelf of my stand as a reminder as to where I started. It got dusted off just like all the other models and occasionally posed around something else, though it was usually near the other 00 kits (Dynames, my second gunpla, and Exia- the 5th or 6th). One day while moving everything around to make some more room for the future, the elbow peg on Astraea’s right arm gave way and snapped! I was a little bummed since it was the first gundam I had put together. While I’m not nearly as proud of it as I was originally I still wanted to leave it out.

That’s when I got an idea.

The Exia Repair at the start of Gundam 00 season two was one of my  favorite mechs that we’ll never see a proper model of. I had contemplated buying another Exia kit or the 1/144 version along with a Tierren Ground Type for the sole purpose of cutting them apart and mashing them together. The broken arm on Astraea was a perfect chance to do something just like that! After a few days of work, we got the following-

Not bad for being generally clueless when it comes to battle damage! I tried to drybrush some metallic grey in to the gashes with varying degrees of success, but in the end I think I should have stuck with the weathering compund for that. I went over the entire kit with some sandpaper to take away the plastic shine and then covered it with sand/light sand, topcoated it then did the same thing over again. Maybe I’m applying it wrong but it seems like some of the weathering blows off when I apply topcoat to the model, necessitating a second go. The cloak is a brown shirt that I hacked apart (Thanks goes to Mmy for finding a tut while I was at work) and and burned to give it that worn out look, as well as applying the same sand weathering to it. The collar of the cloak has a wire instead to keep it from doing whatever it wants though right now if it’s messed with it takes a bit of time to get looking normal again.

I’m even more happy with this kit than I originally was now that it has a little more work put in to it. I originally planned to redo the panel lining as well but sanding everything down sort of cleaned things up on their own..not that you can see much of the panel lining now anyway. It now sits on the shelf with the rest of the gunpla I’ve put extra effort in to. 🙂

Advertisements

, , , , , ,

  1. #1 by mkuain on May 10, 2009 - 01:22

    Wow that looks great but I did you overdid the damage on the middle part of the shield..

  2. #2 by Roy on May 18, 2009 - 15:38

    wow awesome jobon the details,although I love the shield and the immense amount of damage on it ^^ just shows he knows how to block ;D and what a unique idea to make an Astaea like the Exia repair 😀
    Oh by the way the names Roy,nice to meet you Lupe ^^

  3. #3 by lupes on May 18, 2009 - 15:47

    Thank you! 🙂 There are some parts that came out spotty at best but I’m pleased with it as well. I had the same thing in mind about the blocking, considering he’s down an arm he’s going to have to be more defensive.

    Hope to see more gundams from you soon!

  4. #4 by AstrayP03 on May 21, 2009 - 18:55

    lolz… hard to believe you only started out last december

  5. #5 by lupes on May 22, 2009 - 00:05

    @Astray: I’ve had a lot of places to get ideas and information from 🙂 It’s much easier to improve with so many good resources out there!

  6. #6 by AstrayP03 on May 22, 2009 - 07:10

    haha. i can’t seem to bring my self to do that even with so much info cus i’m afraid i might screw up =(

  7. #7 by lupes on May 22, 2009 - 09:19

    Ah, well when your options are “stick it back in the box or try something to make it look legitimate” there’s a little less pressure since you’re not potentially destroying a 60$ model. :p If you wanted to maybe a good HGUC would serve as a nice testbed?

  8. #8 by AstrayP03 on May 22, 2009 - 20:36

    hmm good point…

  9. #9 by Busterbeam on July 17, 2009 - 23:02

    wow. thats quite impressive!

  10. #10 by chubbybots on July 26, 2009 - 11:13

    Wow, nice site you got here. Love the way you turn your Astrea to a repair version. Really neat idea with that cloak! Will try that on my own Astrea haha..

  11. #11 by Josiah on February 14, 2011 - 08:13

    I might steal this from you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: