After ENTIRELY too much time, I’m finally finished with my biggest battle to date. May I present…
The RX-0 Absolution! I started this big recolor project back in APRIL, meaning this model definitely took me the longest to finish. Considering all the work I had to do, it’s no real surprise…
Anyway, while this picture is a distant shot I wanted to showcase everything. Aside from the inner frame of the model the vast majority of this model was meticulously painted and decaled though some parts turned out better than others…overall I’m still very proud of it.
The main body, unequipped. That’s the stand from the Gundam Mk2 (which has yet to even be started), I thought it would look nice for the pictures. I really need to make myself a nice lightbox.
Closer shot of the chest. Yeah, I missed a corner. Fixed it later but I’m out of topcoat and HLJ has it on backorder. :(((( You can also see I didn’t have a decal pushed down all the way, which resulted in that ugly white spot on the arm. I’m not sure what to do about that but I’m sure I’ll think of something.
Boosters! The NT-D mode has plenty of them and loves to show ’em off. Chrome/metallic red. The brightness serves as a nice contrast.
I am now convinced I need a better way to shave down nubs than a hobby knife because I hate hate HATE looking at those ugly ass marks on the gatling guns. Anyway, these are the primary weapons for this particular mobile suit. There’s another set on the other arm. What can I say, I was always a Heavyarms fan.
The shield clips on to the bit that connects the gatling to the arm, so there was no reason to not put it together. The topcoat betrays me again and I don’t know why. I’m sure it’s my fault, but I think the black/blue/grey come together very well on it.
Full load. I had ‘All-Out Offensive’ in mind with this project. I had originally planned on rigging up a second shoulder mounted bazooka but couldn’t find a suitable epoxy. It doesn’t matter too much since the arms have so much weight on the already adding more would be a bad idea…it can barely hold the arms up!
Pew pew pew beam magnum. The body is done with flat black, with gunmetal for the ammo pack and chrome for the barrel and rail that slides to drop out the ammo.
Bazooka! Not something you want to be on the recieving end of. You can’t see it, but I painted the missiles flat red and the ammo pack in gunmetal, just like the beam magnum’s.
So, there you have it. My biggest gunpla project to date (and probably ever- I’m not sure if there’s another suit out there that I want to put this much effort in to again), and it’s one I wanted to do since my original Unicorn Gundam. It feels nice to finally do it and get mostly good results out of it! The deals look much better than the stickers and where a lot less of a pain to put on but they did require additional patience since I had to keep getting warm water over and over. Every little bit of extra works just makes the model that much better though, and I’ve always been a believer in that you get out of it what you put in to it. I came away with some good experience from this model and while I’m not sure if I’ll be going this in depth any more I’m sure that painting my kits to cover clip marks (something I never was originally concerned with) is now going to be commonplace.
I’ll probably make an update before I start working on the Gundam Mk2 since I’m trying to avoid getting burnt out but we’ll see what the topic will be! ‘Till next time!