Fang Musha’s paint won’t be arriving until the 28th (Thanks, Tamiya shipping! It’s not like I wanted it by this week anyway) so until then, I found myself sitting down and sinking my teeth in to this beast. How many projects do I have started now…? (Hint: nine)
First order of business: soak the parts in degreaser for 24 hours. When they first arrived (much like Hi-Nu’s parts) they have a sort of greasy film on them which I’m told is to prevent stuff from getting on the parts while they’re en route to you. As such, they require cleaning unlike gunpla (which I do not bother to clean…ever) kits. 24 hours might be a bit much, but it doesn’t do any harm anyway so it’s not too big of a deal to be sure about it. I use purple power cleaner, something you can grab at your local wal-mart in the automotive department. Fair warning, it may do a number on your hands. Mine are usually dry and kinda peely after I get this stuff on them.
After the parts soak in degreaser, it’s time to clean them off. Lukewarm water, dishsoap and an old toothbrush work well enough for me, though it’s not the most time effective manner to go about this. I’ve seen machines for doing this sort of scrubbing stuff but since I don’t work with resin all that often (something that’s kind of changing) the simple route works here. Nothing fancy to be done, just scrub the parts off with the warm water, rinse and let them dry off.
White balance status: askew. Regardless, you can see that this isn’t the most intensive resin kit ever. You will note, of course, that the joints aren’t shown in this picture. The kit doesn’t come with them by default though TatsuHobby does sell a bundle of the kit+the joints. This is what comes with the kit by default, though. As you can see some of the parts have worse flash on them than others, like the head (which you can’t see) and the top red part of Samus’ chest. There are also a few spots that have some extra bits that require sanding down so the surface of the part is smooth, but it’s not any sort of grievous offense since a little 320 sanding fixes it right up. The only real trouble spot I have is the inside of the cannon arm, where some sort of excess resin pooled and made the front part unable to fit flush so I have to simple chop the end of the barrel off to fix it up. Not a big deal, since I plan on gluing the default beam tip in place to fix the slight gap that’s present.
Now, as this kit needs it’s own joints supplied, you also have to drill the holes for said joints. The bit that isn’t currently present in the picture is the one that gave me holes that were big enough to fit the joints in to but make it a nice snug fit. It should be noted that you should use a smaller one for the head’s joint, but the hole that was already sort of there for mine was too big to begin with so it needs to be tightened with CA glue. I don’t know if you had to drill the holes for the original kit or not, but frankly it doesn’t really matter. You can use a dremel or drill if you want, but I didn’t trust myself to not have something go wrong with it. As such…
I tackled it by hand. Of course, I didn’t find the right drill bit right off the bat. I went through about 4 different sizes before I finally reached the right one but for something like this it is definitely more beneficial to be safe about it. In some cases, I couldn’t make the hole quite deep enough without running the rest of drilling through the part and as such had to chop off some of the joint’s peg part. This doesn’t have any ill consequences though, and the joint fits just as well post-snipping. So, after almost three days of hand drilling holes and a lot of intense sanding work, we get…
The basic kit, even with no painting or other work, still manages to look nice enough. Obviously we’re a loooooong long ways from done (I have many plans for this! Nothing very fancy, but it won’t be staying as the Varia suit, that’s for sure). This is next on my list of things to tackle after Musha and then we start working down a huuuge line of things that got started and never finished or things we decided to come back to. Stay tuned!