Yes Z, I shall take your title as slowest builder in the gunpla community! Anyway, I finally got this bad boy in the mail, I’ve been waiting since March to get my hands on this thing! So far though, things aren’t going as smoothly as I’d hoped. Read on for the full story+progress pictures.
Box is HUGEEEEE. Shipping on this was almost as much as the kit itself at a whopping 4880 yen for EMS (I don’t use SAL. Ever. I’m too impatient!). HG Kshatriya is the size of a ‘normal’ MG box and PG Red Frame Bonus parts are the same as a small MG box.
MANUAL IS SIDEWAYS WHAT IS THIS I DON’T EVEN. Even a tiny thing like this is different than your normal gunpla kit. It’s kind of strange to use really, since finding somewhere to sit it on my desk is more of a task thanks to how long it is.
Parts/cost thing in the event you need replacements. Most people (GaiGuuuuun) are pretty familiar with these.
Imo, Koto’s prepainted/coated parts look much nicer than Bandai’s as well as not having such vicious nubmarks left behind with you cut them off. The downside? Mine had scratches on them out of the box! Unacceptable!
SO MANY PARTS. This really took me by surprise. As far as engineering itself goes, I think it’s mostly up on par with Bandai’s Master Grade kits, maybe even Perfect Grade considering just how damn small some of these parts are and the fine detail that’s on them.
Jaw+’skull’. It has the expected range of articulation and as a warning, those teeth are damn sharp and it does hurt if you happen to stab yourself with them. Also, I think that the paint used to coat this kit is causing some seamline issues on certain areas due to the buildup of paint preventing parts from fitting together smoothly. I can’t say for certain since I don’t have any of the other Blade Liger kits, though.
Side fins. The way they handled these is pretty neat since this way you get some poseability out of them.
Completed head. Total build time is up to two hours already.
Blade parts. That gold finish is HOT. Look at all that detail I’m going to go back and paint! The finished blade does slide in and out for deployment which is very nice.
Assault booster units. again, a lot of small parts but still oozing with fine detail. And one hell of a seamline on the top of the unit. As so is where my decision to straight build this went all to hell, despite it being an EXF kit. To make matters more fun, I can’t even buy putty to fill the seamlines off of tamiyaUSA’s website as it says ‘see your local hobbystore’. do you think that maybe the reason I looked it up online is because I have no local hobby store? I found another store that sells it but at a 3$ markup (along with the other paints- making the putty 7USD and paints 9USD- no thanks).
This is where I broke down for the night, working on the bust as the manual calls it. There’s just too much nice detail here for me to just ignore it. Thusfar for the model itself, I’m pretty pleased with the quality. However thanks to the few quirks here and there, this is going to take longer than a day off to finish and it’s going to become a full blown project. I’ll do my best to prevent it from befalling the same fate as other projects though, which is something I’m trying to work on fixing.
The next post I make will be so amazing will make you want to rise up and shout with all your might! Stick around!