18 days is probably a little too long to go without making an update. As such, even though the movement on PG WZC has been kind of slow (need more paint for the wings, as well as money for the 16 or so LEDs I need for them) here’s at least what I’ve gotten done so since then:
Yup, just that. The backpack wiring is situated now at least, and I’ll be shortening up the length of the wires so it’s easier to connect it. I’m really pleased that the switch works now, something I couldn’t get right when I originally had purchased/built this kit. Undoubtedly this knowledge will come in handy in the future. I’ve received a few questions about how I jammed LEDs in to the forearms and the rifles, so let’s take a look at that now too- fair warning, the rifle is a damn trainwreck due to it being an experiment. Sure, it’ll look good once I’m done with the kit and it’s all closed up…but the inside is another matter entirely.
I forget when I got the idea that it would be cool to make the rifle light up, but a trip to the local RadioShack yielded some hi-brightness LEDs and some speaker wire to try my hand at it. I’ve always admired LED work and I wanted to try to break in to it as well, even if my first steps are clearly clumsy. Firstly, the speaker wire was an awful choice because it’s horrendously thick and only serves to make things even harder than they need to be for this. I had to cut a hell of a lot of stuff out of the internals to the rifle and make a decent number of cuts so the LED could make it through. First to go was the area behind the scope, so that part is going to have to be glued in place when the time comes as well as the tip of the rifle. Getting the yellow LED to shine through was a little trickier as I had to take a drill and bore out a path from the front to the midsection, but ultimately that doesn’t cause too many issues either. The major thing all of this has done to the rifle is that a few of the points where it goes together are now gone, meaning it will have to be glued in together no matter what…which is fine since I want to make sure there aren’t any seamlines on it anyway. Also, switches will probably have room made for them on the back end of the rifle on the bottom so they can be lit up independently and still separated.
The arm LEDs were a much easier task thanks in part to smaller wires and also the fact that the wires were came rigged up to the LEDs. I’ve linked the site before, but thanks to Zeta Newtype I’ve been buying my LEDs from this website, which I highly recommend. For this section all I had to do was shave down the part that the green piece originally slid over and move the led bits around that so I could run the wire behind the frame for that and in to the frame for the rest of the kit to keep it hidden. I did have to make some space on the edges of the green parts so they’d sit flush, but that was hardly any sort of major work. For the record, the LEDs in the arms are the same as the ones in the head and chest, as I got rid of the stock bandai LEDs to keep the whole look unified.
That’s it for the LEDs so far! Once I start the wings is when things are bound to get crazy, so stay tuned til then!