It’s been awhile. Life has been busy, you guys know how it can go sometimes. Seems like things are hitting that point for a lot of us lately (Z, Busterbeam, ASM and myself to name a few) but I’ve had some free time lately to work on more than a few things.
Let’s get down to a few other things first. Robot4Less started their affiliate program, which I joined since their prices aren’t too bad and they have a decent selection of models. There won’t really be any changes to the site, though when new kits get announced I’ll likely plug their preorder page and whatever I’m working on currently will probably be linked at the end of a blog post. Since I do make commissions for whenever someone buys something via my link, that money can go right back towards models and supplies and that’s always a good thing, yeah?
Another idea a few friends of mine and I have be rolling around: Is there any interest in a stream for Gunpla building? It’s fairly easy to set up and while gunpla might not be the most exciting thing in the world to watch it does present a good chance to do one of my favorite things- bounce ideas around and in general talk about gunpla and what people are up to in regards to their own builds. Let me know what you guys think.
NOW, for the real reason everyone is here: Robots. Wing Zero is on hold because surprise, wiring those wings is exactly as frustrating as you’d expect. Combine that with a few other weird problems I’ve run in to (like how to put the LEDs so they don’t shine through the plastic- black paint is out because it’d look horrible when anyone looked at the underside of the wing) and you’ve got me just not wanting to fuss with that kit for awhile. But I’ve been hard at work on something else.
These are primed now, this was the last picture I took of them beforehand though. These alone took a good few days to finish because I’m being so picky about the seam lines. One of the Bazookas still has a seam line on top of it, but I’ll have to either putty it or just let it go because I’ve almost hit the exhaustion point as far as sand, prime, sand, prime, sand prime goes for these things.
With the weapons mostly taken care of for the time being (because pacing is key and I don’t want to burn myself out), I started to work on various parts of the actual mobile suit. The head was easy enough to put an LED in and keep the transformation just fine which was totally expected thanks to the ample amount of room it has in it. The light bleeding problem will be taken care of when I paint everything and if that doesn’t do it, I’ll switch to a battery with a little less juice.
The legs require a little more creative thinking, something I’m sure the rest of this little project will too. A big part of figuring out how to do this is going to be deciding what parts of the frame are superfluous and cutting them down to make sure the parts can slide around the LED without the wires or anything getting in the way. Here you can see that I carved out a small square of space for the 1.8mm LED to fit (purchased from the ever-reliable modeltrainsoftware). At first that was all I did, but the wires from the LED kept the armor from closing all the way so I had to cut away more of the frame’s part so the wires could move to the inside and not screw the armor’s movement up. The thighs will also have to use two LEDs, one for the front and one for the back, since one LED can’t shine bright enough to light the entire area up.
Again, you can see the light bleeding though the white plastic but it still looks pretty decent as is. The hardest part will be coming up next (the knee) but as I look at it I think I’ve already got a pretty good idea as to how I’m going to handle it. It’ll involve a lot of cutting of both the LED and the wires but you do what you have to do. I’d like to have everything running to one central battery but that may be a bit too much to hope for. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.
‘Til next time!