Tentative name, I haven’t quite found something that gives it that proper “custom” feeling. In any case the mods for most of the weapons are done now save for the shield/rifle mounted cannon (still mulling this one over- might be a step to far to mount it to the already oversized beam rifle) and leg mounted missile racks which I haven’t even begun to fiddle with yet.
Let’s talk how I got these parts on there. First and foremost the shoulder mounted weapons are connected to the shoulder via the shoulder joints from the MG Hi-Nu. I they fit in there by opening up the small gap on the shoulder frames just a touch, then tightening them up with super glue to ensure they don’t flop around at all. Using the shoulder joints gives the weapons the ability to rotate on the X and Z axis with the arm from the new Type-C ReZEL giving it movement on the Y axis. The huge cannon on the left shoulder was easy enough to fit since that’s the part it’s supposed to mount to in the first place but to mount the gatlings I had to get a little creative.
I forgot to take a picture of it, but there’s a PC part cut down and jammed in to the opening of the S8 part of the Type-C ReZEL and then I sanded down a chunk of sprue so it fit in the PC part. After that, I drilled some holes in to the side of the gatling guns and used superglue to tighten those joints, though they aren’t locked in to place so they can move up and down independently of one another. I’ll cover up the holes with some pla-plate to keep things looking nice and clean but for now that takes care of our shoulder mounting adventures.
I was initially worried that I would need to drill holes in to the Steins shoulder armor to accommodate the shoulder part’s male end but as it turns out the part that covers the area I attached the joint to is actually covered by the part that goes on top of the shoulder and all I had to do was cut off a little extra plastic to make it work. Here’s a comparison of the two parts, one modified and the other stock. This leaves enough room that nothing is in the way of the shoulder joint.
The last bit of work that I had to do on the shoulders- and this is something I realized I had to do maybe five minutes ago- is cut down a side of the part that hangs down from the shoulder since the balljoints are in the spot for the back side that slips in to the shoulder frame. This was a quick and easy thing to do and to make sure the part stays put with half the support I just tightened the remaining area up with superglue which is becoming shockingly common with this build.
The end results speak for themselves though, the joints are all rock solid and have plenty of movement to allow for the rifle to come under the arm so the kit can grip the cannon or have it sitting above the shoulder for firing. You’d think all these modifications would result int he suit having poor balance but thanks to the Stein’s larger size it supports all of these extra parts quite well and doesn’t suffer much in the way of stability. There are only a few things left to do now like figure out what I’m going to do with the Armed Armor DE and the second beam cannon. I really like how Syd’s fantastic build and my own are going towards two different schools of thought- high speed combat and overwhelming offensive power. Maybe I’ll have to mail my Stein to Japan when this is all said and done so they can be photographed together!
In other news, my Real Grade Karaba Zeta Gundam has arrived from Gentei Kits! I have a three day weekend this week, you guys can expect to see a preview of the kit at the very least because I know a lot of us were/are wondering why the ox is so much bigger than the regular RG Zeta Gundam box. There aren’t any extra weapons, but Bandai did go the extra mile on color separation and gave us multiples of the same runners in different colors to ensure that the Karaba Zeta looks are true to the artwork as possible. Be on the lookout for pictures soon since we’ve got some serious free time coming up!