This little diddy was originally going to just be a matter of painting the trim for a friend but I think by now everyone knows that I hate to see an amazing kit go with it’s potential untapped. Plus it gave me an excuse to work on a Sinanju again (because we all know how well that kit turned out for me) and while I have the HGUC I don’t think anything tops the MG (except for probably the upcoming Nu ver. Ka, but that isn’t out yet) so I jumped at the chance to go all out on this. While a lot of the build went by very quickly, there were stretches that were elongated by waiting for things to come on over from the UK (since originally I wasn’t going to be painting everything, I originally didn’t have all the parts) and also because I managed to burn myself out on it thanks to finishing so much of it in such a short period of time.
I stormed through painting the trim, wrapping up that particular section of the build in 3 days flat along with getting the frame completely painted. Mr. Color metallic gold turned out to be an awesome choice and looked much better than the gold leaf Tamiya I used in my original Sinanju build. Having built Sinanju twice before and handling the trim the same way both times (by hand!) definitely helped in expediting the process this time around.
I did run in to a few problems with this build, though. First and foremost Plamo Color paint chips ridiculously easy, meaning in areas where there is even slight contact (you’ll notice there are pretty much no posed pictures for this build) I’ve had problems with the paint flaking off. As an added bonus though PC also does NOT play well with the Alclad II clear gloss and flat that I used to prep the surface for decals and to seal everything in once it was done. While it feels fine at first, if you leave your hand on any area for too long it gets an almost sticky/gummy feel to it, meaning I had to wear gloves any time I was handling it for an extended period of time (not fun). I have no idea why this is, as as far as I can tell both are lacquers. Then again, I am not the biggest fan of PC for multiple reasons so this is just another reason for me to not use their paint. ANYWAY.
Putting the decals on this is probably what made it take even longer. Thanks to GenteiKits (who are truly fantastic and I can’t recommend them enough for your replacement part and limited edition kit needs) I got some sets of the waterslide decals so at the very least it as as easy as it was ever going to get. I did flub the placement on a few of them thanks to being a dunce but it was just left/right side stuff for areas that don’t matter (see: 10S decal on the right leg instead of the left) but that’s just something else that gives it a little personal touch, like the gold piping on the arms and head, the vulcans and the small gold part on the knee area as well.
Using two different shades of grey for the pipes, thruster bells, axes and rifle was an awesome life choice and I’m really pleased with how they look, it gives them a little more personality than just being the same color and makes you notice them. The Alclad II flat finish is outstandingly smooth and I really enjoy using it as my choice topcoat since it plays just fine with Mr. Color paints.
It’s been a REALLY long time since my last stock color build (even longer since I last -finished- one since Deathscythe and Shenlong aren’t done-done) but I’d forgotten how satisfying it looks to have an end result that looks fairly comparable to what is pictured on the box and in the manual. No doubt Sinanju will look excellent next to the Banshee I’d made since they’re for the same person and it’s certainly made me want to work on all of my other ver. Ka kits so I can have an excuse to get a second Sinanju for myself.