I hope everyone out there had a good holiday season! Let’s get back to it!
I put in more work on the HiRM Wing Zero and am really glad I did. The color on the legs look fantastic and really draws the whole thing together for me. It’s still not done because I need to replace all the aforementioned broken/missing parts. I’ll still take some pictures of it, flaws and all because I do really like the way it turned out. I hope the above pictures will tide everyone over while I take my sweet time repairing and repainting it.
The Amazing Astraea is coming along well. I’ve got the placement of many of the extra GN condensers figured out as well as having the entire upper body almost ready for painting. I’m pretty excited about this one and will be making a push to finish it next. Hopefully I won’t need to buy even more Exia lineage RG kits to get there.
My wife and I started watching Iron Blood Orphans so naturally I had to get a kit from that series. I picked up the Barbatos Lupus Rex from the hobby store across the street as well as a few new tools to ring in the new decade.
I’ve want to improve more as a modeler and for 2020 I’d really like to try to develop my skills more. For starters, the Rex is practice for sharpening v-fins and other parts. I’m pretty happy with the results I got for my first try. I’ve got some cool plans for the rest of the Rex, least of which involves getting to try out a new brand of paint: Gaianotes! We’ll see what kind I wind up focusing on for the next post.
The ‘for now’ is extremely operative.
There’s still replacement parts, panel lining and some extra coloring to do on this kit.
I think I’m going to add some color to the knees and to the parts right behind them so the legs are so plain to look at. I might add some gold decals from the Banshee ver. Ka on the red and orange parts as well but the jury is still out on that one.
Gonna be busy for the holidays but I’ll be back on the grind for this after this weekend after all since I want it to be finished in it’s proper form. That gives me more time to put my thoughts on this kit together too. I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as others have said even if it is a far cry from being perfect. It still outclasses both the MG and PG and in some ways, the RG. I’m pleased with it as a model kit and am probably going to pick up the HiRM Wing ver. Ka at some point down the road as well.
Til next time.
So excited to see the head and torso complete! I’m really glad I started with the wings and weapons because these candy coats are e x h a u s t i n g.
Still plenty of panel lining to do on the white parts of the head. Too excited to see it all together. The chest ran in to a few issues- I had to re-do the two main chest parts that the gold vent and clear green parts go in to as they got chipped the first time around. Thankfully, isopropyl alcohol rubbed the marred layers right off and priming and painting them a second time went off without a hitch. Super happy with the way the colors work together here! Just the right amount of pale gold and orange. I went with pale gold over candy yellow for the chest vents and went with candy orange instead of pale gold for the parts under the chest vents and I think those choices work very well with the kit.
Still need to put the LEDs in the wings. It’s daunting. But they’re painted and they sure do look nice, don’t they?
I already know it’s going to cost me some chipped paint but damn if I’m not excited about putting this in to it’s neo bird mode. The shield and rifle turned out beautifully (though the rifle has some imperfections where some nubs used to be- I coulda cleaned them up a little better and might still go back to touch it up more.)
Everything so far! What do you think? I don’t have too many opinions about the kit itself yet, though one of the bits on the side of the head is already showing a habit of falling out if I bump it the wrong way. The main wings could be a little tighter too but we’ll see how they hold once I’m trying to pose the kit. Maybe those feelings will change once I get the arms and waist and legs further along, we’ll see!
Til next time!
Have to sand + repaint the wings. Alclad II primer and I don’t seem to get along so well, the finish was all bumpy and schmutzy. I switched to Mr. Surfacer 1500 primer did the rifle and shield in the meantime:
Very happy with how things look. I don’t think I’ll need to paint the white? Right now I’m not planning on it, I think the glossyness of everything actually fits well. I lost one of the A21 parts that go on the back of the rifle because I am a human disaster. Hoping it turns up, someone out there with a scrap HiRM/MJH kit wants to donate it, or I just cave and buy the MJH one for literally one tiny part.
Narrative tails for the Unicorn will be here soon! I am excited to be totally done with it. I need to redo the beam effect parts for the Hyper Javelin, they look terrible too.
I also have a fun kitbash that I’m working on:
There’s a lot of work to do on it still. Gundam Build Fighters has been a lot of fun to watch if only for the fact it has been giving lots of motivation and inspiration to build.